Saturday, September 11, 2010

A Reliable Wife...eh

A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick

This book had many rave reviews and was picked for our book club...I know I don't read books as often as critics nor do I have any kind of higher education related to literature, but this book was just okay for me. I felt like it took me so long to read and I usually can get books read pretty quickly no matter the topic. The book was about 250 pages or so and was not intimidating at all...just very boring at times. In reading the back cover I was really excited about reading it because it seemed like my type of book. It included mystery and plotting schemes from the "reliable wife" and her new husband. I don't want to give too much away in case anyone wants to read it or has an interest in doing so. I felt as though nothing interesting really happened until about page 150ish. Before this was just building up the suspense when you were waiting for something to happen while trying to figure out what the author was going to come up with to really surprise you. Then when the "event" took place I felt myself asking "was that it?" Really? I read 150ish pages for that to happen and it's not even a big deal! Mind you, it was still a good book...it just took forever for it to become a good book! Now this is nothing against anyone who liked/loved it...it just wasn't for me.
Sometimes I wonder who even writes the description of the book on the back cover because I feel like this was totally misleading. It was a love story...and a very weird one at that. I can't say I would put it on my "recommended list" because I'm not sure I would read it again.

And that's MY opinion about this book on my shelf.

No comments:

Post a Comment